Well, Kate was coming over at some point, Pat was taking Thomas to an orthodontist consultation, and I was going on day 2 of no pants. Good plans.
About 9AM Pat came down to wake me with the news that one of the best zoos in the country, which is about 30 minutes from us, had free admission all day due to the holiday. How did I feel about canceling plans and finally seeing the polar bears? (See number 3 here.)
I bundled us all up warm, packed a bag of sandwiches, drinks and snacks, grabbed the diaper bag, and there we were by 10:30! The parking lot was a sure sign of what we were up against crowd wise. It was dead. Well, compared to usual anyways.
We weren’t expecting to see a whole lot. It’s cold out there, and most the animals would be in for the winter. But our main goal? Yeah like the polar bears would mind the cold. There were quite a few other sites to see as well. Some braving the cold, some indoors.
- Polar bear twin sisters, cuddled up taking an afternoon nap. We share a birthday, btw. Only I’m a few decades, and a half, older.
- Arctic foxes, that Pat would not let us take home. They had doggy chew toys with them. I took great glee in this.
- Penguins guarding their nests of eggs. It’s mating season!
- Yellow river turtles mating
- An alligator snapping turtle!
- A 3 year old elephant
- Baby manatees
- A sting ray that had a thing for my 3-year-old
- A Mexican wolf that had a thing for my 3-year-old
- Wolverines for the first time in all my visits cuz they are always hiding from the heat
- Otters cuddled up in their den snoozing
- Brown Bears in their den that Luke wanted to pet
- A Bald Eagle who let loose his call while we were at his enclosure
In other news, my husband has told me when The Bloggess’s book is released in April, mine is pre-ordered, he is willing to take me up to a few hundred miles for a book signing. Which I’m sure will take place in a bathroom somewhere. Probably a haunted hotel or bar. The bar doesn’t need to be haunted I’m sure, as long as there is booze.
Later in the day, I informed my husband I wanted to take the kids to SeaWorld this summer or next. He informed me the one in Ohio is closed and they are only in Florida, California, and Texas. I told him I had Band friends in Florida, but The Bloggess is in Texas… He told me that Texas was more than a few hundred miles.
Seems I’m going to have to work on this a bit.
So, do you have a Dose of Happy to beat the Mondays over the head with?