Samantha Lavay’s Story Part 1 The Birth

I’m going to do my best to retell this in the order it happened. I have rough ideas of order and time thanks to my twitter stream so it should be good. Just hard to know for sure. While I wasn’t drugged, aside from my epidural and the drug that started labor, it’s still hard to remember exactly step by step what happened, though I have fairly clear ideas.

We reached the hospital a little before 8. Mom was going to be a little bit late because she was getting Thomas to the bus stop, but we knew even if I was taken back right at 8, it would be a bit before anything exciting happened. Sure enough, I was told they didn’t currently have a room for me, BUT it would only be a couple of hours at the most, so I was sent to the waiting room. While we waited, mom showed up with a long-awaited package from my friend Danielle. I was able to occupy some time by drooling over the goodies inside.

By about 10:30 I was officially in my room and had been hooked up to an IV of basic fluids. At which pointed I pulled out my phone to tweet as desired and my Sudoku puzzle book to distract. I’m going to tell you right here and now that the Sudoku ended up being the BEST idea ever. While I was feeling contractions, it was the perfect distraction to help me through. And once I stopped feeling the contractions, it helped pass the time. Apparently, I did learn some coping skills in DBT.

Anyway, I was on just the IV for awhile. They needed a certain amount in me and then had to get the order for the meds that induce labor. Around 11:00 they went ahead and started the meds that induce labor. This got contractions started, but there was a ways to go. Next up came breaking my water. This took a bit because the nurse had to flag down a doctor. At around noon, the doctor came in, my water was broken, and things started happening.

Only one catch. And this one catch explains SO DAMN MUCH! About a year after Thomas was born, I had a cone biopsy, where basically they removed a portion of my cervix, due to “pre-cancerous cell changes”. Now the whole thing was lab error, which is why I’m not sure I’ve mentioned it on here, though maybe I have. So, all in all, it wasn’t a big deal. But apparently, the scar tissue that formed makes it hard for my cervix to dilate. This is probably why labor with Luke was so long and gruesome. And this may very well mean the time I went to the hospital with Sammy last Friday and told I was in active labor but nothing happened… I don’t know for sure but it is possible I was but my cervix couldn’t do its thing, so labor stopped. So the nurse said the best bet was for her to manually break up the scar tissue.

But first, my epidural. I was given that at about 1:30. With both the boys, I had Pat hold me while it was done and I had no fears. Actually, I think I was so distracted comforting my husband who has a severe fear of needles, but wanted to be there for me anyway, that I didn’t even notice what was being done to me. This time I was told no one could be in the room. Apparently, they’ve lost too many fathers due to passing out and could no longer handle that liability. So I became really nervous about getting my epidural done. I knew the nurse would be with me and would comfort me. But she wasn’t my Patrick.

I will say though, that the nurse did a really good job and the anesthesiologist was a total pro. He gave me just enough warning about what I was going to feel, but not so much so that I freaked out. He had an excellent tone of voice for this too. Not just calm, because he was, of course, calm as he’d done this a million times, but also soothing. It was over before I knew it and kicked in quickly. I think I felt maybe 1 more contraction after it was done and then nothing.

Actually, it was the perfect epidural. I mean Perfect. I had enough use of my legs to aid slightly here and there. And I could feel on my own when I needed to push when the time came. But I didn’t feel a damn thing I didn’t want to feel. I’ve never had a bad epidural, but that one was perfect. I was even able to walk again sooner than they expected. If I could recommend anesthesiologists to friends and family, this one would be the one.

Once the epidural was in, the nurse broke up the scar tissue and then I went from the 4 I was stuck at, to an 8 in a matter of an hour and a half and then the rest of the way to a 10 by 4:00 PM.

At 4 my the midwife on duty for my practice, came in to check my cervix and see if I was ready to push. She had me do a trial push and LOVED the results so we went to business. The table was set up, and I was surrounded. I had Pat on my left up by my head. My mom on my left practically over the midwife’s shoulder, and my nurse on my right.

Let me start by saying I knew my midwife already. I met Liza during my pregnancy with Luke. And I saw her at least once during my pregnancy with Sammy. And I have always liked her. So while she wasn’t the midwife I saw through most of this pregnancy, I was thrilled she was the one on duty. And she ended up being the perfect match. The nurse was pretty kick-ass too.

Anyway, pushing commenced. And I pushed and I pushed. We realized something. Liza said she thought maybe the baby was face up and that was causing her to get stuck on my pelvic bone. I told her she was right because I’d had nothing but back contractions. So I pushed a little more. And then mid push the nurse said something that I found funny and I couldn’t help but stop pushing and laugh. And then Liza caught on real fast that holy crap Sammy moved better when I laughed than she did when I pushed. So while it still took a little extra work to get her unstuck, I literally laughed this baby into the world.

And let me just say, after the HELL of pregnancy, I had, laughing the baby into the world will be the most memorable part of it. I needed that. No, I NEEDED that!

At 4:30 PM on the dot, a very slimy but healthy baby girl was plopped on my belly. And suddenly nothing else mattered. I didn’t know what to feel in those first few seconds. A wave of emotion overcame me. But it was all good. It was all beautiful. Just very overwhelming. I think I was to a degree in shock. Once that wore off I what was left was everything there needed to be. Total awe, adoration, and pure unfiltered love. This delivery was the total opposite of my pregnancy and it was fantastic all the way through!

Apparently, this will be a 3 parter (I think). Next up is a glimpse into my baby’s personality. And that will be followed by my random thoughts and reactions as I met my little girl.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *