I stole this from Jennifer over at BPD in OKC ) but the facts are relevant and good to know. I also didn’t know half of them.
- Borderline personality disorder is also known as emotional regulation disorder (ERD).¹
- ERD is a debilitating biological disorder.
- 2% of adults have this disorder.
- 20% present in psychiatric hospitals.
- 11% in outpatient clinics.
- 69% to 75% exhibit self-destructive behaviors such as self-mutilation, chemical dependency, eating disorders and suicide attempts.
- 8 – 10% die by suicide usually due to lack of impulse control over depression.
- Successful suicide rate doubles with a history of self-destructive behaviors and suicide attempts.
- 50% experience Clinical Depression
- Approximately 25% of those with ERD also meet the criteria for post traumatic stress disorder.
- Of Dual Diagnosed People, 50-67% have ERD.
- Between 40% and 71% of ERD patients report having been sexually abused, usually by a non-caregiver.
- Diagnosed more often in females – approximately 75%.
- 22-35% of domestic violent perpetrators meet the criteria for ERD.
- Severe headaches and migraine appear to be more prevalent in patients with BPD than the general population.
- ERD is highly stigmatized in the world.
- Many clinicians refuse to treat ERD.
- Discontinuation of medications are high at 50%.